The Way We Were

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
thrice

The Way We Were

Post by thrice » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:01 am

When we look back as adults at some of the things we did as kids, it's hard not to chuckle at how goofy they were. Even harder to put yourself back in those shoes and realize that at the time, what you were doing made perfect sense to you.

I recalled a few this morning:

-The Big Score: painstakingly separating the foil from the paper of gum wrappers and rolling it into a big ball, after receiving 4th grade investment advice that the aluminum could be turned in for big cash

-Yeah, I'm Bad: Building switchblade knives out of sharpened popsicle sticks and twisted rubber bands. Looked pretty impressive when you whipped it out and flicked it open.

-You're No Rapala: Making my own fishing lures out of strips of plastic from bleach bottles and wiring hooks to them. The paint didn't stay on them, and the fish catching was pretty skimpy too.

-I Have Returned: During pouring rainstorms that overflowed street gutters, putting on rubber boots and sloshing around imitating Douglas MacArthur or some other victorious general leading the troops to conquest.

-Scarface, The Early Years: The wicked thrill of clandestine transactions involving cinnamon flavored toothpicks, a craze that swept my elementary school and was banned for safety reasons. Buy a pack for a dime, sell them for a couple cents each, double your money, and stick it to Da Man.

-Indiana Jonesin: Had great fun using an appliance cord to horsewhip a tree that represented legions of evil. Fun briefly interrupted by trip to emergency room to painfully remove bits of copper wire that snapped off end of cord and lodged themselves in Indiana's eyelid.

What goofy things did you do as a kid that you probably wouldn't do now?

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:04 am

I spent Junior High listening to The Bodyguard soundtrack on my walkman...imagining myself to be a stong black woman, thinking if I could just be more like Whitney maybe the popular girls would be nicer to me...

:lol:

praecorloth

Post by praecorloth » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:02 pm

I dunno. I pretty much do the same crazy crap I did as a kid. My toys have just gotten bigger, more sophisticated and more expensive.