Repreprepetition

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
dorajar

Repreprepetition

Post by dorajar » Tue May 27, 2008 8:58 am

"Time has two aspects. There is the arrow, the running river, without which there is no change, no progress, or direction, or creation. And there is the circle or the cycle, without which there is chaos, meaningless succession of instants, a world without clocks or seasons or promises."
--Ursula K. LeGuin, The Dispossesed

Where do you see repetition in your life? Where do you see forward motion?

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Tue May 27, 2008 12:55 pm

I love this quote (the one I started the thread with). There's only one tattoo I want: a sine wave. The graphic representation of a circle with forward motion: a pattern found in nature in ocean waves, sound waves, and light waves. A cyclical pattern moving forward in time.

I see repetition in my relationships, the kinds of people I'm drawn to, my ways of coping, my tendency to take on way too much, then rest for a spell, then take on way too much, then rest for a spell, my incessent need to dabble in everything and commit to nothing long-term.

I see forward motion in my domestic urges, my theatrical career, my family's dynamics, my hair, and my interests.

praecorloth

Post by praecorloth » Tue May 27, 2008 3:14 pm

I see repetition in the people I meet. It's very strange. I started a new job at the end of last week and I swear to you I've met these people before. Their facial features, body types and personalities all match other people I've met. Some I can place, some I can only grasp the vague feeling that I've met them before.

I see the chance for forward motion in my chosen profession. I see my dabblings in fantasy writing falling off to the side of the road. But most importantly an odd feeling of forward motion came over me this morning as I woke and realized that my dreams for a business need not be dreams at all.