Decrepitude

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
dorajar

Decrepitude

Post by dorajar » Fri May 30, 2008 7:38 am

What physical change in the next 20 years do you worry most about?

thrice

Call Me Creaky

Post by thrice » Fri May 30, 2008 7:59 am

Bones and joints.

Arthritis and other bone/joint issues seem to rapidly progress with aging. I'm already feeling increasing pain and stiffness at a relatively young age. Unfortunately, you can tone and strengthen muscles, etc with exercise, but there's not much you can do about your bones and joints other than strengthening them with exercise and diet.

Blood sugar's a close second. Type II diabetes is epidemic in the US, and it leads to a host of other problems including cardio disease and drastically effects lifestyle and mental acuity. And contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be obese to get it.

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Fri May 30, 2008 8:11 am

It's arthritis for me too. I don't know why, but I suspect I'm particularly prone to it, what with my long, bony body. My hip joint is already giving me trouble at age 26 (though physical therapy is helping some). I want to be sprightly until I'm 100!

praecorloth

Post by praecorloth » Fri May 30, 2008 11:19 am

My teeth. I can't afford to go see a dentist but I have the "permanent" retainer thingies behind my front upper and lower teeth. Supposedly they're supposed to come out eventually or they can jack up the rest of my teeth. I've also got 3 of 4 wisdom teeth almost completely in and that's kinda making things a little cramped. I have a tooth chipped in a really weird place. Unfortunately it's a biter so I'm worried about chomping down on firmer foods that I normally wouldn't mind.

hobbit

Post by hobbit » Fri May 30, 2008 6:53 pm

Bone health for me too. I have worked in the field of long term care for more than 30 years, and have learned a lot about health and aging. I will tell you that the majority of individuals needing placement in assisted living and nursing homes get to that point because of a fall that fractures or breaks a bone, which leads to a myriad of problems: overall weakness, anxiety, depression, incontinence and multiple medications to name just a few. The downward slide from there is swift and permanent. Strong bones are the best defense. Especially so for women. (Doorajar - do you take a calcium supplement faithfully?)