City vs. Country

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
dorajar

City vs. Country

Post by dorajar » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:55 pm

"I saw all the people hustling early in the morning to go into the factories and the stores and the office buildings, to do their job, to get their check. But ultimately it's not office buildings or jobs that give us our checks. It's the soil/ The soils is what gives us the real income that supports us all." --Ed Begley Jr.

"How many of us are able to distinguish between the odors of noon and midnight, or of winter nd sumer, or of a windy spell and a still one? If man is so generally less happy in the cities than in the country, it is because all these variations and nuances of smell and sound are less clearly marked and lost in the general monotony of gray walls and cement pavements." --Lin Yutang

"Anyone can be good in the country. There are no temptations there." --Oscar Wilde

Are you a city person or a country person? How important is it to your happiness to feel connected viscerally to the earth?

praecorloth

Post by praecorloth » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm

I like working in the city, but I like a lot of open land. I like to camp and do outdoorsey type stuff. It's just so hard when you're living in an apartment to get outside and go hiking or camping.

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:32 pm

I also like a blend. I love camping, hiking, exploring the great outdoors, but I also love being within walking distance of a margarita.

I find that gardening, playing in the dirt, going to the farmers market, cooking with fresh, local, organic ingredients, learning about food, growing my own vegetables, even just observing the shifting shadows in Mike's back yard throughout the course of the day...these things deepen and intensify my happiness on a sensual, visceral level. They make me feel rooted, connected. I'd say that feeling is essential to my happiness, yes.

thrice

Post by thrice » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:18 pm

I have a marked dislike for noise at night, and for municipal beaurocrats governing minute aspects of my home and lifestyle. I find country living relaxing and minimally regulated, but like to be near the attractions of a metropolitan area. Minnesota offers this choice within a much closer radius than many metro areas. However, unless some reasonably priced and efficient transportation/energy answers start popping up, this option may be closing for many if they're looking at $100 per week or more just for commuting gasoline.