In your element

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
dorajar

In your element

Post by dorajar » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:47 pm

sorry, it's the Solstice and I'm still feeling all earthy!

In which natural environment do you feel most "in your element?"

Plains, mountains, ocean, forest, rivers, desert...?

praecorloth

Post by praecorloth » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:32 pm

Everything except desert. Love me a rocky forest area. Great for camping, hiking, fishing if there's a lake near by which generally there is. And let's not forget the abundance of things to shoot at. "Look! It's nature! KILL IT!" Oh goodness. I'm a bad person. :lol:

But seriously, put me in a forest and I'll be a happy camper. Love just about any wooded area right off of Lake Superior. Rocks, trees, gi-normous lake. Went camping for a full week on the Canadian side of the boundary waters. That was day after day of bliss. No motor boats. Canoe all the way, lots of portaging and fishing. Fish tastes best when you catch it, clean it, and fry it up while you're hungry.

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:33 am

For me it's the desert, followed by the forest. I love the ocean, the mountains, the plains...but when my heart is broken and needs repair, I take it to the desert, and sit with it on a landscape all windswept and laid bare. Vulnerability, openness, hardiness, heat...the desert is where my heart beats just right.

God, if only I could go there now, this summer, at the peak of heat...store aridity and sun in my bones for the long MN winter...I tell you, it's where I belong.

thrice

H20

Post by thrice » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:53 am

Water's an essential element for me. My favorite kind of area is a northern lake region (sans the mosquitoes). I love the ocean too, but once you get out of sight of land, it's rather disorienting. I find the sight and sounds of water calming, and maybe on some level get the feeling of having all the necessary elements for life around me there. I also have a low tolerance for summer heat, and have found the Upper Midwest to have the most tolerable summer weather of those regions I've lived in.

I also like rain and thunderstorms, which generally rules out the desert when combined with my affection for lakes, rivers and oceans. On trips to Southern California, I found myself watching the sky for cloudiness and possible rain coming, and was usually disappointed. I enjoy it so much that I've bought a CD of rain and thunderstorm sounds and play it on the "sleep to music" feature on my CD/clock radio. I have no problem getting to sleep at all when I hear those sounds.