Anticipate

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
dorajar

Anticipate

Post by dorajar » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:15 am

I'm very happy today. I had a phenomenal weekend. I closed one show and tonight I'm closing another, both of which I've been working on for 5-6 months. And I'm thinking about how I never could have anticipated the friendships that have come out of Mom's the Word for me, or that Mikey and I would still be going strong after 2.5 years, or that I'd be working with the people I'm working with on my next project. And how glorious it all is, and how that just means that there are infinite more wonderful things coming down the pike that I can't even begin to fathom or anticipate right now. That's what I'm feeling today and I'm trying to figure out how to formulate that into a question.

Ok...

"cause someone you don't know
is someone you don't know
get a firm grip, girl
before you let go
for every hand extended
another lies in wait
keep your eye on that one and
anticipate"
--Ani D.

What has come to pass that you never anticipated? What fabulous things do you anticipate happening for you in the next few years?

praecorloth

Post by praecorloth » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:49 am

One thing I am anticipating in the next few years is the very real possibility that I may leave the country. A lot of my friends got the heck outta dodge when Bush got in to office and I didn't agree with their move, reasoning that you can't fix a great country when all the decent people leave it. But after 2 terms of Bush, the next president really needs to kick it in to high gear to entice me to stay. Well, they don't need to do it for me. But they need to get the country back on track with a quickness otherwise I think we'd be too far gone to even think about fixing the country. Blah, didn't mean to go so far in to my ramblings.

thrice

Post by thrice » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:22 am

Follow through on your scenario, Prae. Can you detail specifically how you see the negative impact of the US government on your personal, daily life? Where would you go, and what would you do there? What specific actions or non-actions by the government in the place of your choice would have dramatic positive impact on your personal life?

hazel

Post by hazel » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:56 pm

Hey...If I moved to Canada, I wouldn't have to be embarrassed to be from America-I could say I was from Canada. When I traveled through the middle east I always said I was Canadian. Have some hope Prae............things can only get better.

praecorloth

Post by praecorloth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:34 am

thrice wrote:Follow through on your scenario, Prae. Can you detail specifically how you see the negative impact of the US government on your personal, daily life? Where would you go, and what would you do there? What specific actions or non-actions by the government in the place of your choice would have dramatic positive impact on your personal life?
Y'know, no I don't think I can detail how the US gov negatively affects me, nor can I detail how a different government would be an improvement. I've tried to a few times and started and stopped with a few different veins of thought, but either my problems with this nation are too numerous or I just don't feel right here anymore and whatever problems I do have with this country are just a few more reasons to get out.

As to where I'd go, I've had some fleeting thoughts about Greenland, Ireland, Scotland, Switzerland.

thrice

Out and About

Post by thrice » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:53 am

Have you done much international travel, or spent much time talking to people from other countries, Prae?

I haven't done international travel in a long time. Have had a number of conversations with people from other countries, tho not recently. Overall, I found both experiences helpful. On a number of levels, I found people who had a very different life orientation based on their government and customs of different countries, and saw things in a different light based on their viewpoints about the world and things American. Some of their views and assumptions made me question my own. Some of them, IMHO, were completely full of it.

It's a big subject, evaluating countries, and a lot depends on point of view. Some people (including me) get enraged when you can't put property in your locked vehicle in a Minneapolis park without some pathetic junkie breaking out the window and stealing it. That can lead to all kinds of discussion about social/economic inequity and drug policy. Then again, the same thing happened to my brother in Dublin, Ireland 30 years ago- and one can hardly call that country a hotbed of racism, social injustice, and drug abuse.

Guess my point is that a real familiarity with other countries reveals to us both pleasant surprises and a host of problems of their own. I look forward to an ongoing education in that area.

hazel

Post by hazel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:00 pm

It's a big subject, evaluating countries, and a lot depends on point of view. Some people (including me) get enraged when you can't put property in your locked vehicle in a Minneapolis park without some pathetic junkie breaking out the window and stealing it. That can lead to all kinds of discussion about social/economic inequity and drug policy. Then again, the same thing happened to my brother in Dublin, Ireland 30 years ago- and one can hardly call that country a hotbed of racism, social injustice, and drug abuse
Ah, are you sure Thrice? Ireland has a massive herion problem. Dublin has a growing crime rate and an increasing problems with gang activity. Humans are humans-and all countries struggle with similar issues. However Ireland seems idyllic, because their government does not have the resources to pound other countries into forced democracy.