Music

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
dorajar

Music

Post by dorajar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:30 am

How important is music to you? Do you like having music playing constantly in the background or in your ear, or do you prefer silence? How do you store and listen to music? Mostly the radio, CD's, iTunes, etc.?

I'm thinking of taking the plunge into the world of the iPod. Just thinking about how it would work with my lifestyle and the way I like to listen to music. I want to have the ability to make playlists and listen to them, say, in the theater dressing room while getting ready before a show, but I also want to be able to wear it on my arm while I run. Are iPods too bulky for that? I mostly listen to CD's in my car and at home. How would an iPod work in my car, through my stereo system? Hmmmm.

praecorloth

Post by praecorloth » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Got a tape player in your car? You can get a little adapter thingey. They're pretty common. For running I'd make certain that whatever iPod you get is a newer generation so that it's a solid state disk rather than a traditional spinning platter. Solid state disks have no problem being bumped around, plus they require significantly less electricity to power. I think it's only the first and/or second generation of iPods that have a spinning disk. But if you hit the Apple Store just ask if it's using a solid state disk or not.

And if you're worried about bulk, the iPod Nano line are really really small.

thrice

Post by thrice » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:03 pm

I bought one for my wife at Christmas this year, Dora, and she loves it. Just remember that the ultra tiny ones do not have the ability to be docked and used as a home stereo, and likely not in the car either. Also the Apple brand Ipods have a lot more accessory options than others. As much as I dislike meekly surrendering to the biggest vendor on the block, I also want to stick with technology that will survive into the reasonably distant future and not turn into a Betamax.

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:57 pm

I did it. I found the refurbished section of the online Apple store, where you can find perfectly good Apple products severely discounted. I got a refurbished 8 GB 3rd generation iPod Nano (light blue) for $99 (they're $150 regularly). It should be arriving in the mail next week. They sell armbands that will let me use it when I work out, and there are options for car play too, though I'll have to wait a bit for that to be in the budget. I don't have a cassette player in my car, so I'll have to look into the kind that syncs it up with your radio.

I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy when it comes in the mail!

nomnnice

Post by nomnnice » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:10 pm

dorajar wrote:I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy when it comes in the mail!
Ooh, we can learn all about iPods together! My sister was given an iPod Shuffle as a gift from her boss, but she already has an iPod that is a better model. It doesn't matter to me if the Shuffle isn't the best one - I'm just glad my sister is re-gifting to my benefit!

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:39 pm

Hoorah for new toys!