Bankrupted by Dog

Got a tip or an idea to share? Got a question to ask?
Terry

Bankrupted by Dog

Post by Terry » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:37 am

I have the fear of dogs. Whenever I tell dog owners about the fear, they don't seem to understand. Well, dogs do bite, no matter how well they are trained or domesticated. One of my neighbours has 2 vicious dogs that chase and bark at anyone who walks even near to their front yard.

We have heard many dog attack stories. In every one of them, the dog owner always insisted that their dogs would never attack or harm anyone. Well, biting is a dog's instinct and it always happens. When it does happen, the dog owner can be liable for a lot of money or even face jail time.
All dog owners need to understand their potential liability should their animal bite, maul or, heaven forbid, kill someone. A single bite could cost you tens of thousands of dollars -- a lawsuit hundreds of thousands -- and your insurance coverage might not apply. If the attack is especially serious, you could even go to jail.

Dog bites make up one-third of all homeowner insurance liability claims, according to the Insurance Information Institute, and cost insurers $356 million in 2007.

The average cost of a dog-bite claim was $24,511 in 2007, the institute found. That's 11.5% more than the year before and 28% more than in 2003.

More than 4.7 million people are bitten by dogs annually, according to the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Nearly a million of them need medical attention. Some die. Last year, 32 people in the U.S. were killed by dogs, according to Los Angeles attorney Kenneth Phillips, who specializes in dog-bite cases.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... t-you.aspx